CVC Word Building Mat – Kindergarten Back to School Literacy Center
This CVC Word Building Mat activity will make the perfect Literacy Center activity for your Kindergarten students this Back to School season. Incorporating letter / sound recognition, handwriting practice and fine motor skills, this engaging back to school themed kindergarten literacy center features a fun, school bus format and age appropriate picture cards and CVC words.
Perfect for use during kindergarten literacy centers or with small groups of students, these back to school alphabet tracing cards are simple to prepare and can be used again and again. Both color and black and white versions are included in this resource along with recording sheets for students to record their learning.
⭐ This printable is also part of the following bundles:
What is included in this Back to School CVC Literacy Center for Kindergarten?
- Bus CVC word building mat (color / black & white)
- 72 CVC picture cards (color / black & white)
- Recording sheets – with or without handwriting lines
- Letter cards – uppercase and lowercase sets
How do learners complete this Back to school word building mat activity?
- Present learners with the word building mat, picture cards, a dry erase marker, moveable letters and a recording sheet, if using.
- Learners pick a card and place it on the word building mat.
- Next, learners use moveable letters (or letter cards included in this resource) to build the CVC word
- Then, learners use the dry erase marker to write the word above the bus on the word building mat
- Finally, learners record their CVC word on the recording sheet, if using.
Preparing this Back to School CVC Word Building Activity for Kindergarten:
- Print the word building mat and picture cards and laminate them. Cut pictures into individual cards.
- Print recording sheets, if using.
- Print letter cards, if using as moveable letters, and laminate and cut them.
How to best use this Kindergarten CVC Word Building Literacy Center:
- Explore during morning work
- Assign as supplemental literacy centers
- Implement these centers in an independent way or use them with small-groups.
If you loved this resource, be sure to let me know by leaving a review. Happy teaching! 🙂
Have a question?
Please email me at [email protected]